Good-looking, well-maintained buildings help ensure Waldo remains a great place to do business. To encourage improvements and repairs, the Waldo CID created the Gap Grant that provides a no-matching required grant to a business within the District in need. The grant supports one local business that meets program requirements by funding a significant portion of exterior building repairs and improvements.
The primary program objectives are to allow one business within the District to complete a major renovation that they would otherwise not be able to undertake without the grant’s assistance, help ensure long-term building care, and to achieve long-lasting changes and improvements. Much like the CID’s Storefront grant, the main goal is to fund visible improvements. Although improvements to other portions of the building may be eligible and allowed, they should be secondary and not the focus of the application.
Following are lists of eligible and ineligible improvements. Since some eligible improvements may not directly meet these objectives, the Waldo CID and the WABA Property Committee may use discretion in approving or denying all or portions of applications based on the ability to meet program objectives. The Waldo CID and the WABA Property Committee may also apply additional restrictions, requirements, and conditions as deemed necessary and appropriate to achieve program objectives.
- Removing and/or replacing siding or facades
- Patching concrete
- Fixing or replacing handrails
- Repairing or installing gutter and downspout systems in conjunction with other facade improvements
- Tuck-pointing brick and masonry
- Repairing or replacing cornices, trim, or architectural details
- Repairing or replacing windows (high insulation values are encouraged)Painting or cleaning exterior
- Adding approved, architecturally interesting, features or repairing existing architectural features
- Installing, repairing or replacing appropriate awning or signage
- Installing or replacing exterior lighting
- Improving streetscape and landscape (as part of the project)
- Repairing/replacing parking lots, driveways, sidewalks (as part of a larger project)
- Replacing doors
- Decorative fencing (such as wrought iron fencing, excludes barbed-wire or razor-wire
- Contracted labor
- Interior work
- Electrical improvements (excluding exterior lighting)
- HVAC improvements
- Property acquisition
- Equipment, Furniture, and Fixtures
- In-house labor by the property owner, tenant, or employees
- Other work determined not to meet program objectives
If you are interested in applying, please download the application here. If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact Dorna Edgar Swan at (816)286-4523 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank you for your interest.