Read on below for updates on exciting projects coming to Wornall Rd. this Fall!
(This page will be constantly monitored and updated). Last update: 9/1/23
74th St.-79th St. Wornall Rd Reconstruction:
Bids will be reviewed in September and a contract is scheduled to be issued in Fall 2023.
Work will begin at 75th and Wornall this year and extend into 2024 to complete the project.
Wornall Road is just east of Leawood and runs parallel to the Missouri/Kansas border. This project will reconstruct Wornall Road from 74th Street to 79th Street. Roadway improvements include:
- Newly reconstructed roadway
- Trolley Track Trail extension from 74th to 75th Street
- Improved traffic flow
- Pedestrian accommodations
- Parking lot modifications at 75th and Wornall Rd.
- New, interconnected signals
- Coordination with the KCMO Smart Sewer Program– Green Infrastructure
- New sidewalk along 79th St.
- New LED streetlights
- Water main replacement on Wornall Rd. from 75th to 77th Street
In 2015, the City and the Waldo Community Improvement District conducted an assessment of the intersection of 75th Street and Wornall Road in order to evaluate traffic capacity, safety, and walkability of the intersection. The study resulted in recommendations that are aimed to improve traffic flow, while at the same time improve the intersection so that it incorporates features to improve pedestrian friendliness. The study also identified ways to extend the Trolley Track Trail between 74th Street and 75th Street, thereby eliminating a major barrier for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Since that time, the City, working with the Waldo CID, has received a $2 million grant to implement the results of the study. The City has appropriated funds for the reconstruction of curbs and sidewalks along Wornall Road from 74th and 75th Street. Given the extensive work proposed, the City is now aiming to completely reconstruct Wornall Road from 74th Street to 79th Street, a stretch of roadway that is well worn and beyond ordinary maintenance. This is significant work that, when completed, will improve this key commercial corridor within Waldo.
This project is in the design phase, there is no impact to traffic at this time.
Construction is scheduled to begin in late 2023. Work will last fifteen to eighteen months.
Randy Alewine, Project Manager
Public Works Department– Kansas City, Mo.
Courtney Stephens, Public Information Officer
Public Works Department, Kansas City, Mo.
EPC “74Broadway” Development:
EPC Real Estate Group, in conjunction with PortKC, will be beginning work on their proposed “74Broadway” development in the fall of 2023. In total, the development will contain:
- 278 units, including 56 affordable units at 60% MFI.
- 364 structured parking stalls.
- 29 surface parking stalls.
- 17,500 sq. ft. of retail/dining space.
- EPC plans to close on properties such as, The Well and Waldo Carwash on 9/15/23.
- Demolition is scheduled to begin on or around 10/1/23.
- More updates soon.