The goal of the Waldo CID Storefront Improvement Grant (S.I.G) is to support local businesses through funding for exterior building repairs or improvements. Applications will be reimbursed at half of their approved costs, with the Waldo CID’s share not to exceed $5,000 per building project. The Waldo CID oversees the program and the WABA Property Committee administers the program.
- S.I.G. is open to any properties within the Waldo CID boundaries.
- Applications must be approved prior to the commencement of the project. No retro-active reimbursements will be issued.
- All applications are subject to the approval of the WABA Property Committee.
- An applicant is only eligible for one rebate per property within a ten year time period.
- Grant applications may be submitted by either a business or property owner, as long as both parties are in
agreement. All grant monies will be issued as a reimbursement to the applicant.
- Business must have a valid Occupational License with the City of Kansas City at time of application.
- Projects must meet all applicable City Zoning, Sign and Building Code requirements.
- Applications are accepted starting annually as long as funds are available. Applications are reviewed on a first come first served basis from the time a complete submittal is received until all grant money is allocated.
- Projects must be completed within 180 days of application approval, unless a written extension is submitted before this date by the applicant and approved by the WABA Property Committee.
- Reimbursements are made within 2 weeks after the submittal of the required documentation (i.e. receipts, proof of payment, etc.).
- Removing and/or replacing siding or facades
- Patching concrete
- Fixing or replacing handrails
- Repairing or installing gutter and downspout systems in conjunction with other facade improvements
- Tuck pointing brick and masonry
- Repairing or replacing cornices, trim, or architectural details
- Repairing or replacing windows (high insulation values are encouraged)
- Painting or cleaning exterior
- Adding approved, architecturally interesting, features or repairing existing architectural features
- Installing, repairing or replacing appropriate awning or signage
- Installing or replacing exterior lighting
- Improving streetscape and landscape (as part of the project)
- Repairing/replacing parking lots, driveways, sidewalks (as part of the project)
- Replacing doors
- Decorative fencing (such as wrought iron fencing, excludes barbed-wire or razor-wire)
- Contracted labor
- Interior work
- Electrical improvements (excluding exterior lighting)
- HVAC improvements
- Property acquisition
- Equipment, Furniture, and Fixtures
- In-house labor by property owner, tenant, or employees
- Contact Dorna Edgar Swan, at the Waldo CID, for a pre-application meeting to discuss the project and its requirements.
- Submit a Grant Application, formW-9, and “before” photos of project and schedule a formal presentation with the WABA Property Committee for plan approval.
- Give formal presentation to WABA Property Committee.
- Once applications have been approved, complete the work within 180 days after the application has been approved.
- Upon completion of the project, submit all receipts, proof of payment and “after” photos for review.
- If all program requirements have been met, the Waldo CID will reimburse the applicant up to 50% of approved costs not to exceed $5,000 per project.